updated 3/12/2013 at 3:39pm
Holmes Lundt, Barbara Browning and others yesterday formed the No On Barber Campaign. A letter written by them is making its way around the Wood River Valley. Some people report receiving the email letter several times. The letter states:
“Blaine County School District Board of Trustees will meet Tuesday, March 12 to vote on extending Superintendent Lonnie Barber’s lucrative contract from July 2015 to July 2016. Before they do this, they need to hear from the voters of Blaine County.
“For those who may not be aware, Dr. Barber’s tenure has included:
- $18 million lawsuit that has resulted from $26 million construction work awarded to McKinstry Corp. by Superintendent Dr. Lonnie Barber on a no-bid basis. The McKinstry contract could now cost taxpayers $26 million PLUS hundreds of thousands of dollars–and potentially millions– in lawyers fees.
- SAT scores and graduation rates that are significantly lower than the best districts in Idaho, despite an average per pupil funding rate of over $20,000 per year, among the highest per pupil funding rates not just in Idaho, but in the US.
- Hundreds of students opting out of BCSD to attend local independent schools (including two that opened in the past few years, despite the poor economy).
“Despite this record, Dr. Barber is the highest paid superintendent in Idaho (higher even than the Boise superintendent, who oversees 8 times more students), with a salary is in excess of $158,000. He is one of the most well-compensated public officials of any type, anywhere in the state. In addition to his salary, he gets a free car from BC taxpayers, is paid $9,000 annually toward his retirement and enjoys some of the most expensive health insurance anywhere. His total package is well in excess of $200,000.
“On Tuesday, March 12, BCSD Bd. of Trustees will meet to vote on whether to extend Dr. Barber’s contract for one year from July 2015 to July 2016. We ask that you join us in asking the board to “Just Say No” to an automatic extension of Dr. Barber’s contract.
“Please indicate your view by placing “No On Barber” in the Subject line or Message body. Your email address will be entirely confidential.
“The quantity of responses will be forwarded via a single letter to the Board of Trustees prior to this week’s meeting, as a straw poll on the automatic granting of such lucrative contract extensions in such a climate.”
You can also email the Trustees directly:
- Steve Guthrie: SteveGuthrie@blaineschools.org
- Don Nurge: DonNurge@blaineschools.org
- Paul Bates: PaulBates@blaineschools.org
- Kathryn Graves: KathrynGraves@blaineschools.org
- Shawn Bennion: ShawnBennion@blaineschools.org
- Laurie Kaufman: LKaufman@blaineschools.org